Sunday, September 2, 2007

This Week's Playlist: Paramore and More

I’m determined to start putting enough stuff on this blog to make it worth visiting occasionally. Today begins what I hope will be a weekly entry of the albums and tracks I’m listening to lately. Mostly, it’ll be new stuff, some of which may not yet be available. Every once in a while, though, I get obsessed by something that’s been around a while – like the Britpop phase I went through a couple weeks ago – so you may see some of that stuff, too.

I’ll try to comment on the music every once in a while, but if you see something that gets you curious, post a comment, and I’ll go into further detail.

Paramore tops the list this week, because I just finished writing an article about them (see below) and 'cause they're local folks.

Here's what else is in the iPod/laptop/CD player lately:

1. Paramore, RIOT! (Fueled by Ramen/Atlantic). The more I listen to this, the more I realize how much better it is than All We Know Is Falling - and that generated a lot of buzz for this young band out of Franklin, Tenn. I'm also still listening even though my story on them has already run. That's always a good sign.
2. Dashboard Confessional, The Shade of Poison Trees (Vagrant)
3. John Fogerty, Revival (Fantasy)
4. Dwight Yoakam, Dwight Sings Buck (New West)
5. Betty Lavette, The Scene of the Crime (Anti/Epitaph) Co-produced by Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Tuckers and recorded at Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, the place Aretha Franklin started cutting I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You. Not that it's up to that level, of course, but I figure name-dropping Aretha and the DBTs ought to give you a pretty good idea of the sound they're going for.
6. The Redwalls, The Redwalls (Mad Dragon)
7. Will Hoge, Draw the Curtains (Rykodisc)
8. Brooks & Dunn, Cowboy Town (Arista Nashville)
9. Hard Fi, Once Upon a Time in the West (Atlantic)
10. Koop, Koop Islands (Atlantic)

No comments: