Monday, January 21, 2008

Plain White T's Singer Gets a Date With Delilah

So Plain White T’s' Tom Higgenson finally got his date with Delilah. They’re going to the Grammys, where the persistent singer and his band are up for two awards, including Song of the Year for “Hey There Delilah.”

Contrary to the story the song tells, there’s no romance between Higgenson and Delilah DiCrescenzo, even now that the song Higgenson wrote for the Olympic track hopeful has become a massive hit.

“If we couldn’t make time to do it for the Grammys, we were never going to hang out,” DiCrescenzo says.

She wondered what took Higgenson so long to ask her to accompany him to the show. After all, on the day the Grammy nominations were announced, she’d read at MTV.com that he was planning to ask her. “I talked to him later that night, and he didn’t ask me, so I just played dumb,” she said. Higgenson didn’t get around to asking her until last week. “I was pretty shocked, because I didn’t actually think he was going to go through with it.”

Asked whether he was more nervous about his Grammy nominations or going out with Delilah for the first time, Higgenson considered choosing Delilah but finally ’fessed up: “I’m definitely more nervous about the Grammys. Ever since I was a little kid, I’d watch the Grammys every year and get so inspired by the performances. It’s a big deal for me. And to be nominated in such a big category – if we win that, it’ll definitely be the craziest moment of my life. Having Delilah there would make it even more crazy. It’s just going to be a weekend to remember.”

The trip to the Grammys will also make a nice late birthday present for DiCrescenzo. She’ll turn 25 the day before the show.

No comments: