Monday, October 29, 2007

SK6ERS in Nashville!

Going to see Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers Tuesday at 3rd & Lindsley (and tonight, at their in-store at the Borders in Brentwood. The SK6ERS' Glassjaw Boxer is one of my favorite albums this year. In no small part, that's because my 4-year-old daughter latched onto "Sweet Sophia" (Sophia is her middle name) as her favorite song. She can now recognize Kellogg's voice when she hears him sing another song, and she's also noticed the similarities in the arrangements of "Sweet Sophia" and Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road" (not bad for a 4-year-old). The Springsteen comparison's pretty smart - songs like "Glassjaw Boxer" and "Big Easy" share that combination of romanticism and melodicism that Springsteen does so well.

I got to see the band play about five songs opening for O.A.R. in Long Island this summer, this summer, but Tuesday will give me my first chance to see them do their full set. For a pared-down taste of what I'm looking forward to, here's the band doing "Sweet Sophia" at another Borders a few nights ago:



And here's Kellogg solo, doing a bit that was also a highlight of the Long Island show I saw:

No comments: